This summer was extremely hot and humid with plenty of rain storms here in New Jersey. My peach tree thrived and I had a great harvest so far. Instead of the basic pie recipe, I made ‘Calzone’ styled stuffed pie dough and it turned out delicious. It is completely Vegan if you leave off the egg wash before placing in the oven.
Peach Dessert Calzone
exclusive recipe by GourmetMariChef
- 6 ripe peaches, peeled and cut up small
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 c sugar, more or less to taste
In a small pot, add all the ingredients and 1/4 c. water, stirring until thick. Put aside.
- ½ c. shortening
- 2 c. flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 c. cold water
preheat oven to 350° after the dough chills for 1 hour
- Place the shortening, salt, and flour in a bowl and cut through it with a fork or pastry blender until it resembles crumbs.
- Slowly add the cold water, kneading the dough by hand on a floured surface for 5-10 minutes. It must have some elasticity to it. If it is dry, add more water a little at a time.
- Divide the dough in half and place both halves in the refrigerator for 1 hour to chill.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °.
- Roll the dough thin and cut out 9″ circles.
- Fill the middle with a few tablespoons of peach filling.
- Wet the perimiter of the dough with water and flip the dough onto itself, sealing the egdes.
- Cut holes in the top for the steam to escape.
- You can give the pies an eggwhite wash if you like or just leave the egg off to make it vegan.
- Bake on parchment paper for 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees until browned on the edges.