I have traveled Italy extensively, staying at B & B’s, hotels, and every place in-between. When it comes to breakfast, and if you haven’t already heard, the Italians don’t believe in the heavier, cooked breakfasts that Americans are used to. They like lighter foods like toast with marmalade, fresh fruits, cake, and bread with prosciutto. Of course the ‘colazione’ is accompanied with espresso or cappucino.
I was very intrigued with one prominent breakfast cake in particular, the Apple Cake. It is as popular as American Apple Pie, and there are several recipes. The one I like best is my own. It uses my basic Dairy-Free Chiffon Cake Recipe with added pieces of fresh apples placed not only in the cake, but on top.
Italian Apple Cake
- 2 1/4 c flour
- 1 1/4 c sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 3/4 c cold water
- 1 tsp lemon extract and vanilla
- 5 egg yolks
- 7 egg whites, room temperature
- 2 peeled, cored and thinly sliced apples, leave a few slices thicker (I used red delicious)
- natural cane sugar
Preheat oven to 325 °
- Combine the first 4 ingredients in a bowl.
- Add in the next 5 ingredients mixing until lemony colored and smooth.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- A little at a time, add the eggwhites to the flour mixture, be sure not to overmix.
- Place the batter in 2 greased and lightly floured cake pans, adding the larger slices of apples here and there throughout the cake, sinking them.
- Top the cake with the thinner slices of apple and a sprinkle natural granulated cane sugar.
- Bake at 325 ° for 1/2 hour, checking every 10 minutes if it needs more time. It is done when a knife comes out clean. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
∼∼The photos and food styling were a collaborative effort by me and my daughter, Maria, who is a candidate for her Master of Fine Art Degree. Of all my blog posts, this one has such great heartfelt memories of her lovingly and patiently advising and instructing me during the photoshoot with her insightful conceptual development. Best of luck in your continued studies ∼this one is for you ♥∼∼