Autumn is here and in no time, the cool weather will make baking fun again. I wrote my own dairy-free recipe for Apple Crumble Tart that I used over and over, but never tried making it with any other fruit. When someone gave me 2 pints of Jersey Fresh Blueberries, I welcomed the chance to try the recipe with the blueberries. The tarts came out so delicious, I shared them with my 87 year old Mom, who fondly remembers the ‘old days’ when she used to pick her own in her backyard. Even better than the delicious flavor,the pies have no heavy crust and utilizes oatmeal, brown sugar and walnuts making them a healthy alternative. You can even customize the amount of sugar you sweeten them with. What a nice way to enjoy the season change!
Blueberry Walnut Crumble Tart
Recipe by: GourmetMariChef
- 2 pints of blueberries or 2 red delicious apples, peeled, cored and chopped finely
- sugar to taste
- 1 tbsp corn starch mixed in 1 oz water
- Place the blueberries and sugar in a small pan, with a few spoons of water.
- Stir with low heat until the blueberries begin to bubble.
- Add in the cornstarch mixture and stir for a few minutes intil thickened.
- Place on the side to cool. You can begin assembling them after making the topping. I also made an apple cumble tart at the same time (replace the blueberries for apples in the recipe).
Crispy Walnut Topping
- 1 tbsp. unbleached flour
- 1/4 c. firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 c. quick oats
- 2 tbsp. shortening
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon (just 2-3 sprinkles)
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
preheat oven to 350°
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a bowl, cutting in the shortening and finishing with the cinnamon.
- Stir in the walnuts, and sprinkle the topping over the mini-pies.
- Place the mini-pies in a baking dish and bake for 30 or more minutes or until the topping is crispy and toasted.
- Serve warm topped with vegan ice cream, or dairy-free whipped topping