Usually we add Beets to our salad after they have been cooked or pickled. I have a recipe for Beet Salad that uses raw beets to retain more of their nutrients. If you like cole-slaw, this is the beet version using a citrus dressing. Just look at the powerhouse of nutrients in beets → 6 Health Benefits of Beets
If you want to impress at your next gathering, make a side salad with beets! They will all ask how you made it!
Beet Salad with Citrus Dressing
- 1 bunch of 4 beets with greens (I used red, but you can mix colors)
- 1 large carrot
- 3 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 thin slices of a small onion
- ½ c chopped fresh parsley
- *optional-½ c cinnamon sugar toasted walnuts
- Wash beets thoroughly, peel, and cut off the stems leaving a bit on top. Don’t throw away the greens, use my archived recipe: vegan beet greens and golden beet soup.
- Carefully slice the beets either on a slicer set at very thin, or a mandolin style slicer set on Julienne. You will have to julienne the slices from the slicer by hand.
- Peel and shred the carrot into the beets, adding the sliced onion and parsley.
- In another bowl, mix the orange juice, lemon juice, and oil together adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Lightly toss the beet mixture with the dressing. I also added 1 tbsp Braggs™ Apple Cider Vinegar to give it an added flavor boost and vast healthy nutrients.
- Let the salad absorb the flavors for 20 minutes or more, lightly mixing with a fork a few times, adding more oil if necessary.
- As an option, just before serving add the toasted walnuts.