I can appreciate a really hot bowl of soup on a cool day. Mom made the best Vegetable Soup when we were growing up in our humble New Jersey home. She learned how to make it from my Grandmother in the 1950’s. ‘Babci’ had a catering business and shared all of her vast kitchen knowledge with my mother, so this recipe has been in the family for close to 100 years.
Using homemade Beef Stock is the base for this recipe, but the ultra nutritious Beef Bone Broth is made by simply slow simmering the stock overnight (recipe included below). Joining its cousin, Chicken Soup, Beef Bone Broth is a well known health inducing food. → bone broth health benefits.
It is a bit time consuming to make my vegetable soup from scratch, but it is even more difficult when you have to hand chop all of the vegetables that go in. Lucky for me, I don’t have to chop the veggies by hand because I use my handy dandy vegetable chopper ⇓ It is a great time saver!
Home made Beef Soup Stock, base for Vegetable Soup
Exclusive recipe written by: GourmetMariChef
- 3-4 lbs.beef bones, I used beef marrow bones and beef neck bones
- 1 washed and peeled onion and 2 unpeeled and washed carrots, I also use ½ of a garlic head sliced.
- 3 stalks of celery
- parsley, thyme, 2 bay leaves, and salt and pepper to taste
- Large pot only ¾ full of boiling water
- Roast the bones in the oven on 350° for 40 minutes or until browned.
- Gently place the roasted bones and any roasting juices and bits in the pot of water and bring back to a boil. Skim and discard any foam that comes to the top.
- Add in salt and pepper to taste, or you can leave out the salt if you are on a low salt diet.
- Add in the celery, and season with fresh parsley and thyme. Let this simmer on low all day, or better yet, if you want to achieve the healthier thickened and gelatanous bone broth, simmer on low overnight in a crock pot adding a teaspoon of vinegar to help in mineral extraction. This thickened bone broth as mentioned before is used for 100’s of recipes adding flavor and nutrition. You can also use the thickened bone broth for my vegetable soup recipe by re-constituting it with water.
Vegetable Beef Soup
Warm and delicious soup, made with Beef Stock and fresh cut vegetables.
- 4-5 chopped carrots, celery, larger chopped potatos, or sliced and quartered zucchini.
- cooked roman red beans or kidney beans
- a large potful of beef stock. ½ bone broth and ½ water
- a bag of pre-washed baby spinach or frozen peas
- handful of chopped kale or chopped cabbage
- ½ c uncooked ditilini
- 1 can of tomato paste
- Strain the beef stock into a pot then add in 1 can of tomato paste. Add in any combo of the veggies to the soup. Add the uncooked pasta after the soup cooks for 45 minutes.
- Simmer on low for a total of 1 – 1½ hours until all the vegetables are cooked. If necessary add a little more water because the uncooked veggies and pasta absorb the soup.
**I made the croutons by slicing Italian Bread into cubes, sprinkling on extra virgin olive oil and Mrs. Dash seasoning with garlic and herbs. I toasted them in my toaster oven on 350° for 5-7 minutes.