The stores are all ready for Thanksgiving with turkeys and all the trimmings in abundance. I usually start preparing some portions of the feast a few days before Thanksgiving including the home-made turkey broth that is necessary for stuffing, and gravy.
This year, I made a large stock pot and I wanted to use it prior to Thanksgiving for a totally different meal. I heard Turkey broth is great as a base for cooking barley or rice, giving either great flavor. I decided to try pearled barley with a gourmet blend of baby bella, shitake and oyster mushrooms. It seems like the best mushroom selections are in the stores for the Thanksgiving Feast, so the ingredients were easily available.
Pearled Barley & Mushrooms
adapted from: Food Network Kitchen
- 1 c. uncooked rinsed pearled barley
- 2 ½ c. turkey broth/stock
- 4 slices of onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 oz. package of sliced blended mushrooms
- a handful of chopped baby spinach
- salt and pepper to taste, a few sprigs of rosemary
- Bring the stock to a boil and add in the barley, cook for 45 minutes.
- In another pan, sauté the next 4 ingredients until caramelized, adding seasoning to taste. Set aside until the barley is cooked.
- Drain the barley and add into the mushroom pan, stirring.
- Serve immediately