I learned to make apple pie from scratch when I was a child. Both my Polish ‘Babci’ and my Polish/American Mom were experts at homemade apple pie. It took me some time, but I have now mastered the family recipe to perfection. This recipe is Vegan, just simply leave off the egg wash before baking.
Home made Apple Pie
An original recipe from Gourmetmarichef and family
preheat oven to 325° after the dough chills in the refrigerator for 1 hour
- 8-10 golden or red delicious
- ½ c. dairy-free shortening
- cinnamon, sugar, and pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp. corn starch
- ½ c. or more of cold water
- 1-2 c. organic unbleached flour
- Place the shortening, salt, and flour in a bowl and cut through it with a fork or pastry blender until it resembles crumbs.
- Slowly add the cold water, kneading the dough by hand on a floured surface for 5-10 minutes. It must have some elasticity to it. Divide the dough in half and place both halves in the refrigerator for 1 hour to chill.
- Peel, core, and cut-up the apples, generously sprinkling them with cinnamon and 1/4 c. – 1/2 c. sugar, it is a personal preference. Sprinkle on the cornstarch and mix. And to keep it dairy-free, no butter necessary.
- Roll out one of the chilled halves of dough thinly until it fits the pie plate that you have pre-greased with shortening.Cut off the excess dough around the pie plate.
- Fill the dough-lined pie plate with the apples, then wet the top rim of the dough with water to allow the upper dough to stick to it.
- Roll out the top dough until it fits the pie plate and place it over the apples. If you want a cut out look like my pie, just use a cookie cutter to cut out pieces of dough. Wet the back of the pieces and arrange them on top of the pie.
- Brush the top crust with beaten egg whites. For the vegan version, leave out the egg wash.
- Place the pie in the pre-heated oven for approx. 45-55 minutes or until it is golden brown. After 20 minutes, you can cover the pie with foil so it doesn’t burn/ You will know it is done when the house is completely filled with the luscious aroma of apple pie.