This cake recipe was the first homemade cake recipe I ever attempted. I never tried to bake a cake from scratch, so I just took the easy way out by baking a cake (from a box) figuring it was home-made!
This recipe became the one and only cake recipe we used for all birthdays and major celebrations. It is completely Dairy-Free and delicious, and can be easily made into cupcakes. This cake is very versatile and can also be modified with chocolate flavor, or marbled, and is a superb consistency to infuse your favorite liqueur into after it cools.
Dairy Free Chiffon Cake
Credit: Adapted from the BHG Cookbook by Gourmarichef.com
- 2 c. sifted flour
- 1 ½ c. sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 7 room temperature eggs, separated
- 1/2 c. cooking oil
- 2 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
- ¾ c. cold water
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Sift and Combine first 4 ingredients, and make a well in the center.
- In the well, add the oil, egg yolks, lemon peel, vanilla, and water.
- Mix on low until combined, then on high for 5 minutes until lemony colored and satin-smooth.
- Wash the beaters thoroughly. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the lemony batter into the egg whites, taking your time.
- Pour batter into a tube pan (60 minutes), 2-9″ greased and floured round pans (30 minutes), or lined muffin pans (15 minutes). They are done when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- The tube pan must be inverted and left to cool.
- When completely cool, frost with desired frosting*. Tube cakes could be glazed or gently sprinkled with powdered sugar. This cake tastes wonderful with the toasted pecans on the sides.
*The frosting is made very simply with 1 c. vegan/ dairy free butter, 2 tbsp. orange juice, and 3 c. powdered sugar. Mix on high until it is smooth and spreadable. Add more orange juice if necessary. For buttercream, substitute vanilla flavored dairy-free milk for the orange juice.