Seasonal recipes are the best by far, most of them handed down through the generations. One of the cookies we loved to set out for Santa was the Chocolate Chip Cookie. Years ago, it was extremely difficuly to find chocolate chips that were guaranteed to be dairy free. We are so lucky to have more brands today with clear allergen labels.
I was able to find the chips in our local Shop Rite™ Grocery store and it was their own brand. All of the other brands were ‘made in a facility that may use milk, etc.’ and therefore unusable. As a bonus, the side of the package also provided an unbeatable recipe that I modified by using dairy-free butter.
Best wishes this holiday season and Merry Christmas!
Chocolate Chip & Pistachio Cookies
Adapted from Shoprite® recipes
- 1 c. softened dairy-free butter
- 1 c. sugar
- ½ c. packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/3 c. flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 c. ShopRite® Chocolate Chips and optional ½c nuts
Preheat oven to 375º
- In a bowl, mix together the first 5 ingredients until creamy.
- In another bowl, combine the dry ingredients and add to the creamed mixture. If the dough is dry, add a little coconut milk.
- Stir in the Chocolate Chips and ½ c. toasted chopped pistachios.
- Drop by teaspoonful onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bakes in less than 10 minutes, when they brown on the sides.