Beets aren’t everyone’s favorite food, you either like them or you don’t. My mother had a way of cooking the beets that made the entire family love them. I have finally mastered her famous Cream of Beet Soup, but my version is Vegan and Dairy free.
When she tried my home-made Golden Beet soup, she could not believe it had no cream in it! And when I told her the base was a box of organic vegetable soup, she was amazed at the great flavor. She was used to her chicken broth base. We both went on to have a second serving, what a great lunch!
Organic Golden Beet Soup
Exclusive recipe by: GourmetMariChef. My version of Cream of Beet Soup uses potatoes in the recipe to thicken the soup and a vegan/organic vegetable broth base.
- 3-in-a-bunch of organic golden beets thoroughly washed
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ small onion chopped, salt and pepper to taste, a little thyme
- ¼ c. olive oil
- 1 32 oz. box of organic vegetable broth
- 4 med. organic red potatoes, washed
- 2 stalks of celery cut up
- De-stem (and reserve the greens for later) beets. Wrap the beets and potatoes in foil and bake in a 350º oven for 1 hour. Let cool, then peel.
- Sauté the garlic, onions, and celery in olive oil in a stock pot until transparent, adding in the broth. Season with salt, pepper, and a little thyme.
- Take 2 of the beets, reserving one on the side, and 3 of the potatoes, reserving one as well, and cut them up into pieces adding them to the soup.
- Cook for 1/2 hour, until the vegetables are soft. Very slowly, pour the soup into a blender and puree until smooth, you can do it in 2 batches.
- Pour the pureed soup back into the pot.
- Shred the remaining beet and potato and put the shreds into the pureed soup. The soup now has bits to bite into, and doesn’t seem like baby food puree. Cook on low for 10-15 more minutes, and serve. I served with a swirl of Beet Green Pesto, recipe below.
Beet Green Pesto
- Wash and chop the Beet Greens.
- Par Boil for 5 minutes, until soft, drain liquid.
- In a mini-food processor, add the greens, 1 small clove of garlic, and salt and pepper.
- Add 2-4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil until desired consistency.
- Puree until all ingredients are smooth.