Gift giving season is upon us, and what better way to show your love than with home baked presents.
Quick Breads and Loaves are easy, and will stay fresh up to 4 days when double wrapped after cooling, so they can be made a couple days in advance. These loaves easily freeze and defrost to its original consistency. This recipe is easy, healthy, and perfect for those sleep-in mornings this holiday season!
Holiday Date & Walnut Loaf
Adapted by GourmetMariChef from Food Network’s Date Nut Bread
- 1 c. pitted chopped dates
- 1 c. chopped walnuts
- ¾ c. boiling water
- 1 ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. oil
- 2 eggs
- ¾ c. sugar
- 1 ½ c. flour
Preheat oven to 350º
- Grease a loaf pan
- Place the first 6 ingredients in a bowl and stir. Let it sit for 15 minutes to soften the dates.
- In another bowl, fork beat the eggs with the sugar. Slowly add in the flour, you can mix with your hands at this point, the batter will be stiff.
- Add the soaked date mixture to the flour mixture until well blended.
- Fill the loaf pan and place in the pre-heated oven. Let bake in the middle of the oven for 45-55 minutes, turning frequently so each side is evenly baked.
- If necessary, place foil over the top of the loaf during the last 10 minutes. It will be done when a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Garnish or frost any way you prefer.
- This loaf will freeze well, take out of the freezer the day before to thoroughly defrost.