There is no substitution for the real thing. Grated ginger root vs. powdered ginger is not even a fair competition. Freshly grated ginger has a superior flavor and aroma that outshines it’s dried and powdered cousin. Also, by the time you find the ground ginger in the recesses of your cupboard, you could have grated fresh ginger root in your recipe! It’s worth a try!
Freshly Grated Ginger Root Cookies
Delicious and healthy ginger root cookies that are quick and easy to make and completely dairy-free
Adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction by GourmetMariChef
- 2/3 c. dairy-free butter
- 2/3 c. molasses
- 3/4 c. dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3 ½ c. sifted flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. cloves
Preheat oven to 350°
- Place the first 5 ingredients in a bowl and beat with a mixer for 1 minute, scraping the bowl sides. Continue mixing for 2 more minutes.
- In another bowl, sift together the rest of the ingredients.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients together by hand with a wooden spoon, even getting your hands in the dough to mix.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, you can flatten and cut in half.
- After the dough is chilled, roll it out and use cookie cutters to make cookies. If the dough became a bit dry, you can add a little water to make it easier to roll out.
- If you prefer, hand roll the cookies and flatten with a fork, adding sugar on top before placing in the oven.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes, removing to a cooking rack to cool completely before decorating.