Happy 2017! This will be your best year yet, and quality meal time with friends and family will guarantee it! I hope to share many more dairy free recipes for your enjoyment, and this sauce is probably the most important recipe you will need for the Italian food lovers in your life. It is so versatile, dairy and gluten free, and it can be frozen for up to one month.
This recipe uses Certified Organic 28 oz. San Marzano Tomatoes because they taste the best.
Homemade Pasta Sauce
This meatless, cheeseless sauce can be served over pasta or used to make lasagne, stuffed shells, or countless other Italian dishes.
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cloves of finely chopped garlic
- 2-3 cans of whole tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste diluted with 1 c. water
- 2 tsp. salt and dash of fresh ground pepper
- Fresh basil leaves, oregano
- In a large pot, sauté the onion and garlic in oil.
- When translucent, strain the tomatoes over the pot pressing as much of the tomatoes through as you can, disposing of the bits in the strainer.
- Add the diluted paste, salt, pepper and oregano, and fresh basil. Simmer the sauce on low for 2 hours, stirring constantly.
- If you have an immersion blender, smooth out the sauce on low.