So at this point, we are half-way through Winter! I think now is a great time to start re-introducing a few warm weather flavors to our pallets. The bright and zesty lemon flavor in a frosted cookie will help beat those ‘we-still-have-6-more-weeks-of-winter’ blues.
These cookies are a classic tea party cookie that goes great with your afternoon tea. The heartier
of us northeasterners will go in the backyard and sit on one of the uncovered tarp-protected patio chairs to enjoy the moment. Have a great mid winter/almost spring fling with these delicious treats!
Fresh Lemon Tea Cookies
The perfect cookie for an afternoon tea, the fresh-squeezed tart lemon flavor is reminiscent of summer-time lemonade.
An Exclusive Dairy Free Recipe that is Written and Kitchen Tested by: GourmetMariChef
For best results, only the finest ingredients, no squeeze bottled fake lemonjuice used.
- 1 c. room temperature dairy-free butter substitute
- 1 1/3 c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 ½ c. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 2/3 c. sifted flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ c. dairy-free butter substitute
- the juice from the other ½ of lemon
- 2 ½ c. confectioners sugar
- Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Slowly add in the lemon zest, lemon juice, and egg.
- Hand mix the flour, baking powder and salt into the wet ingredients until combined.
- Chill the dough for 1 hour, rolling it out ¼ at a time because it is a very delicate cookie dough.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out the cookies and pick up the cut out cookie with a spatula.
- Place them on air bake® non-stick cookie sheets for the best results. You can also use parchment paper and regular cookie sheets as an alternative.
- Place them in the oven for 10-12 minutes, checking for a bit of browning on the sides.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool for 5 minutes.
- Use a spatula to gently remove from the pan and let cool on a wire rack before frosting.
- You can hand mix the frosting ingredients in a bowl while the cookies cool.