This sweet bulb is a staple in Italy and France. Also known as ‘finocchio’, the Italians cut it up and eat it plain, or place in salads, add in stews, or roast as a side dish. The subtle flavor of licorice makes this unique and pleasantly surprising vegetable a culinary feature in Mediterranean dishes.
Recipe by GourmetMariChef
- 1 large bulb of fennel, outer layer removed
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- freshly grated black pepper and sea salt to taste
pre-heat oven to 425º
- Cut the fennel bulb into 1 inch slices.
- Place in a bowl and toss with the olive oil, salt and pepper.
- On a baking sheet, cover and roast in the oven for 20 min.
- Uncover and flip over, continuing roasting for another 15 minutes.