Have you taken notice of the newest aisle in the supermarket? It is usually near the Organic section of the store and is quite abundantly stocked. It is the gluten-free section, and you should check it out. Even the popular pre-boxed cake mix companies have adapted their ingredients to be gluten-free. And what’s nice about it is, the gluten-free products are no different in taste and texture than wheat based flours.
This recipe uses freshly grated ginger root which is much better by comparison to the dried variety. I adapted my previous Ginger Root Cookie recipe, Freshly Grated Ginger Root Cookies, to be completely Gluten Free by using Bob’s Red Mill® Baking Flour. Butter has been replaced by Coconut Oil which perfectly compliments the ginger flavor. It’s impossible to tell that these delicious cookies are Dairy and Gluten Free.
Ginger & Molasses Cookies, Dairy and Gluten Free
A crispy yet soft Ginger cookie that is a perfect tea dunking treat or a light after dinner dessert.
Written by GourmetMariChef
- 1/3 c. Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1/3 c. molasses
- ½ c. dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. of grated fresh ginger
- 2 ½ c. Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free Baking Flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
Preheat oven to 350º
- Place the first 6 ingredients in the bowl of a mixer and beat for 1 minute, scraping the sides down. Continue mixing for 2 more minutes
- In another bowl, sift the dry ingredients together.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients together in the mixer. You can also mix by hand.
- If the dough becomes dry, you can work in a little water to make it more pliable.
- Divide the dough in half.
- Roll out one half of the dough to ¼ inch thickness.
- Cut out the cookies into a shape of your choosing.
- If you like sugar on top, sprinkle course organic sugar on the cut out cookie and press the sugar into the dough lightly with a fork or any utensil.
- Bake 8-12 minutes, using an air bake pan to prevent burning.
- Remove to a cooking rack to cool.