It was love at first sight the moment I saw the sad little residue riddled roaster that my Mom wanted me to keep. Anyone else would have put it straight in the garbage, but after hearing that my Babci used to cook in it, I had to take it in.
I restored it to it’s natural beauty, it just took a bit of old fashioned elbow grease.
So now, what could possibly be worthy of cooking in a pan that hasn’t seen the light of day since 1950? I spotted the perfect sized organic chicken at the organic food store, and out of hibernation the pan came!
The chicken was juicy, not dried out, and the cover had captured all of the wonderful flavors as it roasted in the oven. Perfection after all these years!
Herb Roasted Organic Chicken
Tender and juicy oven roasted chicken basted in thyme, olive oil, salt and pepper accompanied with garlicky roasted Brussel sprouts.
Original recipe by Gourmetmarichef Dairy-free and Gluten-free
- 4-6 lb. whole organic chicken
- rub made of crushed thyme, fresh ground pepper and salt, and olive oil
- 1 stalk of celery, cut up
- 1 carrot cut up
- 1 medium onion cut up
- 1 large clove of garlic, cut in half
preheat the oven to 350º
- Remove the giblet bag in the cavity. Save for another recipe.
- Take the ½ cloves of garlic and rub the skin all over.
- Massage the chicken well with olive oil, then sprinkle generously with the thyme, pepper, and salt. Place the vegetables in the pan around the chicken. Let the flavors soak in a few minutes while prepping your sides.
- Roast for 2 hours with the cover on.
- Take the cover off, baste the chicken, and return to the oven with you vegetable accompaniment to roast for another ½ hour.
- When it is a golden brown, remove and let sit for a few minutes before serving.
- Remove the chicken to a serving platter, and strain the pan drippings into a small pot over low heat.
- Thicken the gravy with 1 tbsp. cornstarch, but don’t mix it in dry. Take some liquid and whisk the cornstarch together, then add into the gravy pot, stirring constantly until thickened.