Time to get out the Picnic Basket and enjoy the great outdoors! Sandwiches are a favorite to pack, and what better way to enjoy them than bringing a terrific side salad. This slaw will hold up well on ice, and is light and delicious.
Of course, purchasing a bag of pre-cut coleslaw cabbage would save time, but you won’t get the fresh flavor that results from shredding it yourself. Most pre-packaged coleslaw cabbage has a shelf life of a week or more, and sadly they have a stale odor just from being trucked in and handled. Additionally, those packages lose much of their vitamin content along the way as well, when fresh comes packaged, and are more susceptible to bacteria.
Consequently, there is no need to buy an expensive food processor, a cheap mandolin
will perfectly shred the cabbage to a nice, fine consistency. This will allow the lemony vinaigrette to absorb easily while maintaining its vitamin content.
Now let’s get packing for a picnic!
Healthy coleslaw dressed in Lemony Apple Cider Vinaigrette
a lighter version of classic coleslaw that packs more health benefits and flavor.
recipe composed by Gourmetmarichef
- 2 c. finely shredded red cabbage
- 1 c. finely shredded green cabbage
- 3 finely Julienned carrots
- 10 paper thin slices of red onion
- 1/8 c. apple cider vinegar, I used Bragg’s®
- 1/8 c. cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 1 juiced lemon
- salt, pepper and celery seed
- small, cut up apple cubes
- Place the first 4 ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Use kitchen shears to cut the long pieces of vegetables into smaller bite sized pieces.
- Whisk together the Apple cider vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice.
- Add the seasonings to taste, light on the celery seed.
- With salad spoons, mix in the dressing, tossing over and over until it is completely coated.
- Let the salad absorb the dressing. For best result, refrigerate overnight and serve the next day.
- Add the apples when serving for a burst of fruity and tart flavor.