I’ve blogged about the challenges of navigating food allergies, Thoughts about Food Allergies and a gf/df recipe for Fresh Orange Chiffon Cake and I try to present recipes that make delicious foods without the added anxiety of an allergic attack.
The recipe for this moist and delicious chocolate cake is 100% Dairy-Free and can easily be adapted to Gluten-Free by using Gluten-Free Flour. My original version, “Butter”Cream Chiffon Cake D/F was the base for the recipe.
As a bonus, this cake is perfect to make the day before an event because the texture becomes even more moist when the frosting absorbs and marries.
Walnut topped Chocolate Chiffon Cake
Chocolate Cake that can be served for special occasions or just because.
Recipe by Gourmetmarichef
- 1 ¾ c. flour, can be replaced by gluten free flour
- 1 ½ c. sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 7 room temperature eggs, separated
- ½ c. dairy-free natural powdered cocoa
- ¾ c boiled water
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ½ c. canola oil
preheat oven to 325°
- Combine the cocoa powder and boiled water in a mixing bowl and stir until smooth. Set aside to cool while you move to the next steps.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the first 4 ingredients.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, vanilla, and oil.
- Add the wet ingredients including the cocoa mix to the dry ingredients and mix with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes until smooth.
- Wash the beaters and beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in the fluffy egg whites, using a gentle fold over method.
- Place the batter into a 10 inch tube pan. Tap it gently to remove any pockets of air.
- Place in the center of the oven and time for 55-60 minutes. Don’t check until most of the baking time elapses so the cake doesn’t deflate.
- The cake will spring back when gently touched, you can also insert a long toothpick to check if the cake is done.
- Remove from the oven and immediately invert until the cake is cooled.
- Gently run a knife around the cake and tube and place on a serving dish.
Frost with a quick chocolate frosting made from 4 melted dark baking chocolate pieces, ½ c. dairy free butter, 2-3 c. confectioners sugar and a bit of rice milk. Mix this with an electric mixer on high until you have a working consistency. Top with toasted chopped walnuts.