I don’t know if you have noticed, but it is finally getting easier to find clearly labeled Vegan and Gluten-free groceries at regular supermarkets. Not too long ago, those foods were considered to be specialty items and required a separate trip to specialty stores.
Hazelnut spread such as Nutella® is very popular in Italy and is just as popular here in the USA. A friend of mine asked me if I could use Nutella in a cookie or dessert dish but but the ingredients listed dairy products. Never one to give up, I was going to make my own hazelnut spread, but then I discovered the Vegan alternative to Nutella®, Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut Butter Blend®.
It is not only DF, it is GF, Vegan, and has 50% less sugar than other brands, making it a great replacement.
Mini Chocolate Hazelnut Tarte
Vegan, Gluten-Free and Dairy Free Pastry surrounding a cool and delicious chocolate-cream cheese filling with a hint of coffee flavor that is a great summer dessert.
Recipe modified by Gourmetmarichef as seen in the Cooking Light Magazine.
- 1 c. Gluten-Free flour
- ½ c. raw hazelnuts
- ¼ c. vegan butter
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 1 tbsp. rice milk
- 2 tbsp. canola oil and a bit more to oil and flour the cupcake tin
- ½ c. chocolate Hazelnut Spread (I used Justin’s)
- 3 oz. Kite Hill® Vegan Cream Cheese
- 1 tsp. rice milk
- 1 tsp. espresso
- 2 tbsp. powdered sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
preheat oven to 325°
- In a food processor, pulse the Gluten-Free Flour and Hazelnuts until finely ground. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, add butter, sugar, oil, and rice milk and mix for 2 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and slowly incorporate the Flour mixture into the ‘butter’ mixture.
- Using a bit of canola oil, coat the cupcake pans and sprinkle on a bit of gluten-free flour, turning upside down to remove excess flour.
- Place a tablespoon of crust mixture into each cup, using a small utensil or your thumb to bring the mixture up the sides of the cups.
- Bake until golden and toasty, approximately 12-15 minutes.
- Mix together the Hazelnut Spread, cream cheese, powdered sugar, rice milk, espresso, and vanilla until smooth, I used my mini-food processor.
- Spoon or pipe in 1½ tsp. of the filling into each mini crust.
- Chill 1 hour and top with a topping of your choice.