We had an unusually rainy spring this year and the result was a phenomimal cherry harvest. What’s even better is that they are completely organic, we never sprayed the tree for 35 years.
The cake I made is a chiffon cake recipe that I use for all special occasions. I cooked the cherries into a compote and allowed the syrup to absorb the layer before frosting.
Happy Father’s Day to all the wonderful fathers we have known in our lives. They are the best and deserve our love and gratitude forever.
a festive homemade cake that resembles a bakery specialty.
Recipe written by Gourmetmarichef
- 1 chiffon cake made in a fluted non-stick pan (and 12 cupcakes with the leftover cake batter) that I made the previous day (I used my archived recipe for the cake and substituted rice milk and ½ tsp. vanilla extract for the orange juice in the frosting): “Butter”Cream Chiffon Cake D/F
- 2 c. de-pitted cherries
- ½ c. sugar
- ¼ c. water
- ½ tsp. cornstarch
- Place the cake on the side for a minute.
- In a bowl, mix together the next 4 ingredients.
- Place in a small pot on low heat, stirring constantly for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool thoroughly.
- Using a skewer, poke holes in the cake.
- Spread some of the cherry sauce without the cherries over the top of the cake and let it absorb a bit.
- Spread the frosting over the sauce and top with the cooled off cherry compote.
- Decorate as you desire and serve.