This year I finally outsmarted the pesky birds that ravage my backyard blueberries. All it took was a bit of fine netting to cover the bush while the blueberries ripened. I’ve used the harvest in many recipes!
This recipe can be modified to use all of the summer harvest of fruits. What a great dessert served with whipped cream or ice cream!
Organic Free-Form Blueberry and Peach Tartelette
Summer fruits baked in an open crusted pie, impressive dessert when served with ice cream.
Recipe is written by Gourmetmari chef. It is dairy-free, vegan, and organic.
- 1 ½ c. organic flour
- ½ c. dairy free butter substitute
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ c. or more of cold water
In a bowl, mix the first 3 ingredients by hand, until it resembles crumbles. Add some water so it becomes pliable like pie dough, if it is dry, add more water. Turn the dough onto the counter to knead for 5 minutes. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
*this recipe is enough for 2 tartelettes
- 2 pints of organic blueberries
- 2 un-peeled peaches, sliced ½ inch thick. I spritzed them with lemon juice to prevent them from oxidizing.
- 2-4 tbsp. sugar, your preference
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 350º after the dough has chilled for 1 hour.
- Grease a 9″ pan and set aside.
- In a bowl, add in the blueberries, sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice and gently toss until mixed.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pie dough to a 1/8″ thickness and a bit larger than your baking pan.
- Place the baking pan in the middle of the rolled-out dough and cut the dough all the way around 1 ½” larger than the pan.
- Gently fold the dough and place it in the pan and unfold.
- Spoon in the blueberries and place the peaches on top, folding the dough over the edges.
- Brush the top with olive oil.
- Bake in a 350º oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the blueberries are bubbly and the crust is lightly browned.
- After cooling, I brushed the tartelette with agave syrup to give it a gentle shine.
- Serve plain or with ice cream or whipped cream.