Summer is a great time to celebrate and take advantage of the fantastic weather outdoors. Birthdays, backyard barbeques, weddings and graduations take place outdoors with friends, family and plenty of food.
After all the festivities, the dessert table with all your favorite assorted sweet confections is set up, and this completes the party.
In honor of my 35th wedding anniversary this July, I made festive dairy free cupcakes. This recipe is the best cake recipe for all occasions, and it is easily adaptable to gluten-free.
Dairy Free Chiffon Party Cupcakes
Adapted from BHG by Gourmetmarichef
- 2 c. sifted flour
- 1 ½ c. sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 7 room temperature eggs, separated
- 1/2 c. cooking oil
- 2 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
- ¾ c. cold water
- 1 tsp. vanilla
pre-heat oven to 350°
- Sift and Combine first 4 ingredients, and make a well in the center.
- In the well, add the oil, egg yolks, lemon peel, vanilla, and water.
- Mix on low until combined, then on high for 5 minutes until lemony colored and satin-smooth.
- Wash the beaters thoroughly. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the lemony batter into the egg whites, taking your time.
- Pour batter into lined muffin pans and set the timer for 12 minutes. It may take a few extra minutes.
- They will be done when they are slightly browned and spring back when pushed in the middle.
- Allow to cool, frost with desired frosting*.
*The frosting is made very simply with 1 c. vegan/dairy free butter, 2 tbsp. dairy free milk, and 3 c. powdered sugar. Mix on high until it is smooth and spreadable. Add more dairy free milk if necessary.