I used ½ of a large butternut squash in my last recipe, Vegan Stacked Timbale, and knew exactly which recipe would be perfect for the other ½ of the squash.
Quick, easy and Dairy-free Butternut Squash Soup is the perfect comfort food for Cabin Fever Blues. Rich in Vitamins A and C, this hearty soup is surprisingly low in fat and calories.
Pick up pre-cut Butternut Squash chunks at the store ahead of time. Alternatively, you can prep a squash the day before: Cut it in half lengthwise, bake cut sides down in a 350° oven for 1-1½ hours. Peel the skin and use the baked squash in this soup.
Easy Butternut Squash Soup / Dairy Free, Gluten Free and Vegan
a warm, delicious, and nutritious comfort food perfectly paired with a sandwich, pizza, or chips.
Recipe by Gourmetmarichef
- 1 washed and cubed stalk of celery
- 1 washed, cut up and peeled carrot
- 2 small washed, peeled and cut up potatoes
- 3 c. chicken stock (I used my homemade) Vegan version: vegetable broth
- 1 small onion cut up
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 3 c. baked squash or cubed store-bought butternut squash
- few turns of Himalayan sea salt and ground pepper. You can add any spice you like, ginger, cloves, or nutmeg.
- Place the oil and onion in a stock pot and saute until transparent.
- Add in the vegetables and stock.
- Cook for 45 minutes or until the veggies are soft.
- Shut off the heat and mix with an immersion blender, or pour into a blender and puree.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of minced cilantro or thyme, a swirl of plain dairy-free yogurt, toasted nuts or chopped pumpkin seeds, or toasted, unsweetened coconut or croutons.