These mini cupcake papers were so unique that I bought a few to use in a recipe. They are actually made in Italy, and are sold as Mini Souffle Pirottini, or Muffin Cups. I bought a few packages while on vacation in Italy thinking I won’t be able to find them back in the states.
I finally have a special occasion to use them in a recipe. My daughter is completing her Master in Fine Art Degree in Michigan and she’ll be home for a few days. Dairy free bakery goods have been tough for her to find, so I made my chiffon cake recipe into fancy little Italian ‘Soufflé Pirottini’ and added in just the right amount of chocolate. I also made regular sized cupcakes with a lacy chocolate topping.
Mini Festive Soufflé Pirottini /Cupcakes
Festive Italian inspired dairy-free cupcakes.
Dairy Free recipe by Gourmetmarichef
- 2 c. sifted flour
- 1 ½ c. sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 7 room temperature eggs, separated
- 1/2 c. cooking oil
- 2 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
- ¾ c. cold water
- 1 tsp. vanilla *2 squares of melted baker’s™ chocolate with 1 tbsp. hot water
pre-heat oven to 325°
- Sift and Combine first 4 ingredients, and make a well in the center.
- In the well, add the oil, egg yolks, lemon peel, vanilla, and water.
- Mix on low until combined, then on high for 5 minutes until lemony colored and satin-smooth.
- Wash the beaters thoroughly. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the lemony batter into the egg whites, taking your time.
- *If you want a bit of chocolate favor infused, mix 2 melted squares of baker’s™ chocolate and 1 tbsp. hot water then add to 1/3 of the batter.
- Pour batter into lined muffin pans and set the timer for 10 minutes. It may take a few extra minutes.
- They will be done when they are slightly browned and spring back when pushed in the middle.
- Allow to cool, frost with desired frosting*.
*The frosting is made very simply with 1 c. vegan/dairy free butter, 2 tbsp. dairy free milk, 1 tsp. vanilla, and 3 c. powdered sugar. Mix on high until it is smooth and spreadable. Add more dairy free milk if necessary.
*The ornamental chocolate is melted Enjoy life™ dairy-free chocolate chips that are swirled into designs on waxed paper and cooled.