Chiffon Cake is my go to recipe for the holidays. It is so easy to make and is suitable in all forms. Layer cake, tube cake, cupcakes, sheet cake, or any other I may have missed, they all turn out perfectly fluffy and flavorful. I also like that this cake won’t fall apart if you infuse it with liquor, or pour a filling into it. I always use my own recipe for Chiffon Cake and the link is from my blog: Dairy Free Chiffon Cake Recipe
I made a tangy dairy-free lemon curd filling and easily transformed the basic cake into a spectacular Easter Treat! Below is the recipe and step by step directions for the lemon filling with photos of how I filled the cake.
Easter and Passover are upon us despite the anticipated winter storm approaching the east coast once again. My wish for everyone is to let the joy and peace from God ascend in your home throughout the entire year!
Happy Easter and Joyous Passover!
Lemon Filled Tea Cake with Coconut Frosting
Festive cake filled with a deliciously tangy lemon curd.
Cake and Lemon Filling Recipe by Gourmetmarichef
- 6 thoroughly washed organic lemons. (Organic lemons do not have unhealthy toxins absorbed in the skins.)
- ¾ c. sugar
- 2 whole eggs and 1 yolk
- scant pinch of salt
- In a bowl, zest 2 lemons into the sugar mixing the two together and set aside.
- Juice the lemons until you have ¾ c.
- Add the juice, lemon sugar, and salt together in a small pan on medium heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved then set aside.
- Whisk the eggs and egg yolk together in a small bowl until well blended.
- Add the warm lemon mixture into the eggs and beat for a minute.
- Place the lemon and egg mixture back in the pan and whisk on low heat until it becomes thick. This will take approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat allowing the curd to cool off.
- Cut a channel in the bottom of a cooled off tube cake. This could also work with a store-bought cake.
- Loosen the cake channel with a fork, remove and set aside.
- Fill in the channel by spooning the lemon curd in. You can also pipe it in if you prefer.
- Trim some of the cake from the removed channel piece to allow for the filling and gently place it back on the bottom of the cake.
- Turn the cake upright and frost as desired. My dairy-free vanilla frosting recipe is also in the link above. Immediately after frosting, while it is sticky, I covered the surface with organic shredded coconut.