Summer is here, and it’s time to enjoy the outdoors, and therefore local Farmers Markets. I love to shop at Rutgers Gardens here in New Jersey.
My favorite booths are the ones selling ‘Jersey Fresh’ produce, and I was pleasantly surprised to find Organic Arugula. The shelf life on fresh Arugula is maybe 1-2 days, so I bought it and served it within hours.
The flavor of Arugula can be pungent, spicy, or even bitter, and is best served with other complimentary foods. I chose to combine my salad with candied pecans and beets. The Balsamic Dressing infuses the flavors to perfection. As an option, you can add in feta cheese, but I chose to keep my salad dairy-free.
Arugula is also terrific mixed in with pastas. Just add a bit of chopped arugula to warm pasta or top your favorite pizza with it! Enjoy!
Organic Arugula, Candied Pecans, and Beets with Balsamic dressing
A delicious and nutritious summer salad packed with bursts of flavor in every bite.
Recipe by: Gourmetmarichef
- 3 small pre-roasted organic beets, cut into wedges
- ½ c. candied pecans*
- 2 c. washed, and dried organic arugula
- ¼ c. each extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- candied pecan recipe* ¼ c. brown sugar, 1 tbsp. water, ½ c. pecans, pinch of salt. On low heat, warm the brown sugar, salt and water until bubbly, about 5 minutes. Add in the pecans, coating well, and bring to a bubbly and thick syrup. Allow to cool on a piece of parchment.
- Place the washed and dried Arugula in a large salad bowl, use kitchen shears to cut the pieces smaller.
- Add in the beets, and candied pecans.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk the vinegar and oil together and immediately pour over the salad, gently tossing to coat.
- Serve immediately.