The best way to use up all those Zucchini from your garden is transform them! I have many favorite ways to cook zucchini, and most are vegan. One of my archived vegan recipes also was a hit, and not only uses zucchini, but also the eggplants that ripen at the same time: Eggplant & Zucchini Caponata
I have come up with a healthy, Vegan alternative to meatballs and pasta. This recipe uses no eggs or dairy and is baked rather than fried. So enjoy your abundant harvest!
Zucchini 'Meatballs' DF/GF and Vegan
Healthy, Dairy-Free recipe that helps you transform your zucchini harvest into an Italian favorite.
Recipe by Gourmetmarichef
- 1 c. shredded and drained zucchini (squeeze through a cheesecloth)
- 1 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ of a lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp. Himalayan sea salt
- 2 finely chopped garlic cloves
- ½ c. rolled oats
- 1 tsp. each dried basil and oregano
Pre-heat oven to 350°
- Place the drained chickpeas, garlic and rolled oats in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. The mixture should hold together if you pinch a bit.
- In a large mixing bowl, transfer the chickpea mix and add in the herbs, salt, nutritional yeast, shredded zucchini and lemon juice.
- Gently stir until combined. If the mixture is too wet, you can grind a little more oats to a flour consistency and add it in.
- Shape the mixture into small ‘meatballs’.
- Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, leaving space between them.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until they are mostly done. Flip them over and bake for another 5 minutes until they are golden brown.
- After your pasta sauce is cooked and the heat is shut off, add in the zucchini ‘meatballs’. No further cooking is necessary or they will fall apart.
- Very gently, place on pasta and serve. Add a sprinkle of nutritional yeast to your liking.