Sometimes the best inspiration for recipes can come from an unusual place. This recipe derived from standing in front of the pet food treat aisle at the store and frustratingly having to read each and every package for ingredients that can harm my dog. Not to mention worrying about where they were made. He loves treats every day, so I only want the best for him. I resolved at that moment to make him all his treats homemade.
My recipe is a simple 4 ingredient treat that he can’t get enough of. It is so important to me that he stays healthy and happy. This is only the first recipe, next I want to make my own bacon treats and also peanut butter treats with minimal all natural ingredients.
DIY Sweet Potato Doggie Treats
Naturally sweet semi-chewy dog treats that are gluten-free, dairy-free, and healthy.
Recipe by: Gourmetmarichef
- 2 c. Organic Old Fashioned Oats + ½ c. extra for rolling out the dough
- 1 ½ c. cooked sweet potato
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 tbsp. melted coconut oil
preheat oven to 350°
- Place the oats in a food processor and grind to a course flour.
- Reserve ½ c. on the side for later.
- Slowly add in the cooked sweet potato, then the melted coconut oil into the food processor pulsing until mixed.
- Add in the beaten egg while the processor is blending to form a dough.
- If the dough is too sticky, add in a little of the reserved oat flour.
- Take the dough out of the processor and knead into a few balls and flatten.
- Roll out treats to 4-5 mm or less than ¼” thick. You may need the extra oat flour to prevent sticking.
- Using a cookie cutter or knife, cut out the treats.
- Transfer the cookies to a non-stick baking sheet and place in the oven for 20 minutes. If they need a bit more cooking, just leave in for no more than 5 minutes extra.
- Cool, then place in an airtight container.