This cake is not only festive, it is a showstopper! I took a regular chiffon cake recipe chiffon cake and modified it with the flavor of freshly squeezed Blood Orange juice. If you need a recipe for candied blood oranges, I detailed a recipe for blood orange frosting and candied blood orange slices in my previous blog: Sicilian Blood Orange Frosting & Candied Blood Orange Slices
Use this wonderfully pink frosting to garnish the cake, and then pour the simmer sauce over the cake. You may want to include a bit of liquor in the sauce if you are really feeling festive!
Blood Orange Chiffon Cake
Deliciously citrusy cake that doesn't get soggy with the added fruit sauce drizzled over it.
Adapted from BHG cook book by GourmetMariChef
preheat oven to 325°
- 7 room temperature eggs, separated in 2 different bowls
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. sugar
- ¼ c. water
- ½ c. fresh squeezed blood orange juice
- ½ c. canola oil
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- finely shredded peel from 1 orange
- Mix together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar and make a well in the center of the mixture.
- Add in the wet ingredients (minus the egg whites) and citrus peels and beat on high for 5 minutes.
- Wash the beaters and beat the egg whites in a large bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Pour the batter over the egg whites in a thin stream and fold gently.
- Pour into a greased and floured tube pan.
- Bake 40-60 minutes depending on the pan. It will spring back when touched.
- Remove from the oven and invert.
- While it is slightly warm, loosen from the sides of the pan and remove cake.
- Top with candied orange slices and pour the orange sauce all over the cake.