I tried all of the vegan mayo alternatives in the stores, but none came close to my own homemade. All it takes is a bullet-style blender and a bit of time, and the end product is delicious, nutritious, and tastes better any mayonnaise out there. This recipe is vegan but everyone who tried it doesn’t know the difference!
Veggie Slaw with Velvety Vegan Creamy Mayo
A Vegan upgraded recipe of classic coleslaw that uses home-made vegan friendly mayo.
Recipe by Gourmetmarichef
VEGGIE SLAW INGREDIENTS:
- 1 c. Velvety Vegan Creamy Mayo (recipe below)
- ¼ c. finely diced onion
- ½ of a head of organic cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 shredded carrot
- ¼ tsp. salt
- a few turns of freshly ground black pepper (as well as chopped fresh jalepeño if you like extra heat).
- a few sprinkles of paprika
- cilantro sprigs, and/or chopped avocado if desired.
Instructions for Veggie Slaw: First, Make the Velvety Vegan Creamy Mayo (recipe below). Toss all of the above ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly to coat. Refrigerate then serve. Top with chopped avocado and sprigs of cilantro
VELVETY VEGAN CREAMY MAYO INGREDIENTS:
- 1 c. organic raw cashews
- 1 tbsp. organic apple cider vinegar (I always use Braggs®)
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ – ½ c. of water (could be more)
- Quick soak the cashews by pouring hot water over them and let them soak for 15 minutes (warm cashews make the creamiest mayo).
- Drain the water from the softened cashews.
- While still warm, place in a bullet-style blender.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and process until creamy. Start with ¼ c. of water, and add in more a little at a time until the desired consistency, (if you want it pour-able like a dressing, use more liquids).
- As you are blending, stop a minute and taste test for saltiness, or tartness. Simply add in more salt or vinegar or lemon.
- Keep blending until smooth, approximately 5 minutes total.
- Place in a jar and store in the refrigerator. It will stay fresh for a few days.