Most ginger cookie recipes call for powdered ground ginger. I wanted to use fresh ginger in my recipe because fresh is always best when it comes to flavor. I have been wanting to try egg substitutes in my recipes and this time I substituted a flax-seed egg for the real egg. The flegg has half the calories, 0 cholesterol, and 2 g. of fiber making it a much healthier choice. There is no difference in the cookie quality or flavor so the choice is simple. For our health, plant based is best!
Vegan Ginger Cookies made with Freshly Grated Ginger
A deliciously spicy and fragrant vegan cookie recipe using a flax egg.
Recipe by Gourmetmarichef
- ½ c. room temperature vegan butter
- ¼ c. molasses
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ c. brown sugar
- 1 flax egg *(recipe below)
- 1½ c. flour (you can use whole wheat for ½ the total flour. I did not try the recipe with gluten free flour, but it usually makes no difference in ginger cookies).
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 c. course sugar for coating the cookies before baking.
- flegg recipe: add 3 tbsp. warm water to 1 tbsp. ground flax seed. Stir thoroughly and let sit for a few minutes. It will have the consistency of an egg and is ready to use in a recipe.
Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the vegan butter and brown sugar together until smooth and creamy. Add in the molasses, the flax egg, vanilla and grated fresh ginger, and continue mixing until everything is incorporated.
- Add 1 c. flour, the baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg into the bowl and mix until combined.
- Finally, add in the last ½ c. flour by hand until the dough is thick but not dry.
- Pick up a tablespoon of dough, roll into a ball and flatten a bit.
- Place each cookie dough round into a bowl of course sugar and coat top and bottom.
- Bake the cookies for 10-14 minutes, they will have cracks on the top and start to brown. For a more crispy cookie, leave in the oven a bit extra.
- Gently remove from the cookie sheet and allow to cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!