I never give my mother enough credit for her signature recipes. She is absolutely the apple pie expert. I didn’t realize it though until I made my first ever apple pie 35 years ago. It was extremely difficult to get the dough just right, flexible yet flaky. So, this time when I made Mom’s apple pie, I documented the steps that are very important to the right crust. It’s actually easy, and much better than store-bought ready made dough. The recipe for this dough is vegan, I use dairy-free butter.
Family Recipe Vegan Apple Pie
Simple easy to follow steps to making a fantastic home-made apple pie with 5 ingredient and a few simple seasonings.
Family recipe by Gourmetmarichef
- 8-10 golden or red delicious apples
- ½ c. dairy-free shortening or vegan butter
- cinnamon, sugar, and pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp. corn starch
- ½ c. or more of cold water
- 1-2 c. organic unbleached flour (substitute gluten-free if preferred)
- Place the shortening, salt, and flour in a bowl and cut through it with a fork or pastry blender until it resembles crumbs.
- Slowly add the cold water, kneading the dough by hand on a floured surface for 5-10 minutes. It must have some elasticity to it.Divide the dough in half and place both halves in the refrigerator for 1 hour to chill, or quick chill in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- While the dough is chilling, peel, core, and cut-up the apples, generously sprinkling them with cinnamon and 1/4 c. – 1/2 c. sugar, it is a personal preference if you like the pie sweeter. Sprinkle on the cornstarch and mix. And to keep it dairy-free and vegan, no butter necessary.
- Roll out one of the chilled halves of dough thinly until it fits the pie plate that you have pre-greased with shortening. Fold gently in half and place on ½ of the pie plate.
- Unfold the dough, fill the dough-lined pie plate with the apples, then wet the top rim of the dough with water to allow the upper dough to stick to it.
preheat oven to 350°
6. Roll out the top dough until it fits the pie plate and place it over the apples. Trim off the excess dough with a sharp knife, setting the dough pieces aside. Crimp the crust end in any design you like, I used my fingers. Cut out a steam vent in the middle.
7. Cover the crust with a pie crust protector if you have one. Place the pie in the pre-heated oven for approx. 45-55 minutes or until it is golden brown. You will know it is done when the house is completely filled with the luscious aroma of apple pie.
8. Serve a bit warm either plain or topped with ice cream or whipped cream. Use the dough scraps for apple pie muffins baked in a muffin ti