This recipe makes the ultimate coconut cookie with fresh organic ingredients in every bite. Just like macaroons, they are brimming with fresh organic coconut flavor, and they are easy enough for even beginner bakers. I made them 2 different ways: Drop cookies, and hand-rolled cookies. The drop cookie was very chewy and more spread out. The hand-rolled cookie was crisper. Both were amazing served with or dipped in a cup of Macadamia Milk.
Vegan Coconut Cookies
Tasty, organic coconut cookies that are easy to bake and great for any occasion or hostess gifting.
- 1 ¼ c. or 1¾ c. flour (organic and unbleached) Less flour if you want them chewy.
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 1⁄3 c. shredded coconut (organic)
- 1 can of full fat coconut milk (organic)
- ½ c. coconut oil (organic, virgin, unrefined, I used spectrum.)
- ½ c. brown sugar
- ½ c. cane sugar (or coconut sugar if you can find it)
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
pre-heat oven to 350°
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour (less for chewy cookies), baking soda, and salt and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in the shredded coconut and coconut milk (just the solids) blending well and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, blend together the coconut oil, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract until creamy.
- Pour the flour mixture into the bowl with the coconut oil mixture and hand mix.
- For chewy cookies (using 1¼ c. flour in the recipe), just drop the dough onto a baking sheet. For crispier cookies (using 1¾ c. flour in the recipe), roll 1 inch of dough in your hands to form a small ball, place on a non-stick cookie sheet, and flatten.
- Bake 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Let the cookies cool 5 minutes before removing from cookie sheet.
- Cool on a wire rack.