All of the ingredients for this Chili are probably in your pantry at this moment. This recipe is not only quick, it is easy enough for a beginner. If you chop the veggies the day before, it only takes 30 minutes to prepare.
A perfect dish for warming those winter blues right out of your system. Feel free to add chicken or ground turkey if preferred for heartier appetites.
Stick to your ribs hearty vegetarian and vegan recipe that warms up the soul on a cool winter's day.
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp. chili powder (more if you like additional heat)
- 2 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. paprika (more if you like additional heat)
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 c. vegetable stock
- 1 large can and 1 small can of chopped tomatoes with thick puree
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 can black beans
- 1 bay leaf
- garnish of your choice: cilantro, green onions, tortilla chips, grated cheddar, avocado slices
- In a large sturdy pot, heat the olive oil and add in the chopped veggies, stirring for 5-10 minutes until they are tender.
- Stir in the salt, spices and garlic. Use less for starters, you can always add more heat later.
- Add the chopped tomatoes with puree, the drained black beans and drained pinto beans and the vegetable stock along with the bay leaf and gently stir.
- Bring the chili to a simmer. Cook and stir on reduced heat for 30 minutes until thickened.
- Remove 1-2 c. of chili to another bowl and mash until smooth. Pour it back into the chili and stir. It should be thicker.
- Add in fresh chopped cilantro and more salt if needed.
- Garnish as you like.