We are all getting back to basics in the kitchen, and bread making is now a priority. With a few pantry staples, you can make your own delicious Italian bread at home. This recipe yields 4 baguettes or 2 loaves of bread, and uses metric measurements since it is European. Bring the “Panetteria” to you right here in America!
Crunchy Italian Bread
Enjoy the fresh aroma of homemade bread wafting throughout the house as you bake your very own bread with simple pantry ingredients.
- 500 gr. bread flour (no substitutions)
- 375 ml. warm (110°) water
- 7 gr. active dry yeast
- 2 tsp. salt
- Dissolve the yeast in a bowl with the water, and let it sit undisturbed for 10 minutes covered.
- Gently add in the flour and salt, mixing well for approximately 5 minutes.
- Let the dough rest, covered either overnight in the refrigerator, or in a quiet/warm place for 2-3 hours until it reaches the top of the bowl (doubled in size).
- Uncover, and knead the dough in the bowl, scraping it from the sides of the bowl. The dough will be gooey, sticky and bubbly.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface, and divide into 4 small or 2 large dough balls. Let them rest for 15 minutes, covered with a moist towel.
- Uncover and shape the dough into the desired loaves dusting the top and under the bottom with a bit more flour and allow them to rest again under the moist towel for 1 hour. This is the final rising.
- Preheat the oven to 450°. A few minutes before the dough is ready to bake, fill a small pan with 1 c. of boiling water and place it on a bottom rack of the oven. Warm up the baking pan that will be used for baking the bread for a few minutes in the oven as well.
- Remove the warmed up bread pan from the oven. Place a piece parchment paper on it and gently and carefully (the pan is very warm) transfer the dough onto the pan.
- Place the loaves in the center of the preheated oven and set the timer for 20 minutes.
- The bread is ready when it has a toasted golden brown top and bottom.