Now that summer is nearly here, most chefs will bake less and barbecue more. This recipe yields a batch of summery style cupcakes to enjoy before the heat takes over the kitchen.
Orange/vanilla flavored frosting on chiffon cupcakes gives a summery flavor to your dessert.
Gourmetmarichef original recipe
- 2 c. sifted flour
- 1 ½ c. sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 7 room temperature eggs, separated
- 1/2 c. canola oil
- 2 tsp. finely shredded orange peel
- ¾ c. cold water
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract +1 tsp. for the frosting
- 1 tsp. orange extract for frosting
- 1 c. vegetable shortening or dairy free butter
- 3 c. confectioners sugar
- 2 tbsp. or more dairy free milk
- 4 drops each of yellow and red food coloring
- Sift and Combine first 4 ingredients, and make a well in the center.
- In the well, add the oil, egg yolks, orange peel, vanilla, and water.
- Mix on low until combined, then on high for 5 minutes until lemony colored and satin-smooth.
- Wash the beaters thoroughly. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the batter into the egg whites, taking your time.
- Pour batter into lined muffin pans and set the timer for 12 minutes. It may take a few extra minutes.
- They will be done when they are slightly browned and spring back when pushed in the middle.
- Frost with vanilla/orange frosting, recipe below.*
*The frosting is made very simply with 1 c. vegan/dairy free butter or plain vegetable shortening, 2 tbsp. dairy free milk, and 3 c. powdered sugar. Mix first by hand, adding in the vanilla extract, orange extract and food coloring to incorporate ingredients. Mix with your electric mixer on high until it is smooth and spreadable. Add more dairy free milk if necessary.