I love baking with apples and cinnamon when the first hint of fall arrives. A few of my recipes are handed down through the generations, so I’m thinking that many of my relatives enjoyed baking with apples as well. This recipe is quick, easy, delicious and impressive. In a little more than an hour, you will have a bakery quality cake for breakfast or dessert.
Quick and Easy Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Cake
A fresh apple cake with a hint of cinnamon that goes well with your morning coffee or espresso.
- 4 apples, washed and peeled. 2 are sliced and 2 are diced (Spritz the apples with the lemon juice to prevent discoloring while prepping the cake.)
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 2 c. all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon divided
- 1/4 c. canola oil
- 1/4 c. water
- 2 1/2 ts. baking powder
- 2 1/2 tsp. corn starch
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 extra tbsp. sugar and a dash of cinnamon for sprinkling on top of the apples
preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Whisk the eggs, sugar, cinnamon, oil, water and extracts in a medium mixing bowl.
- Slowly add in the baking powder, then corn starch while still whisking.
- A few spoons at a time, add in the flour.
- When the batter becomes smooth, add in the diced apples.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured cake pan.
- Arrange the sliced apples on top of the batter, and top with sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35-45 minutes, when a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean, it is done.