When your family celebrates 2 birthdays in Autumn, it makes sense to make an Autumn style cake or cupcakes for at least one of them. This cake is pillowy soft and has just enough spiciness to let you know that you are now going to savor the flavors of Fall.
Naked Spiced Pumpkin Cake
Autumn flavors in a festive celebration cake.
recipe by: GourmetMariChef
**I included my recipe for dairy free cream cheese frosting after the directions.
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 ¼ c. sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 c. canola oil
- 1 can (15 oz.) plain pumpkin puree
- ¼ c. toasted chopped walnuts if you prefer
- ½ c. vegetable shortening or dairy free butter
- 3-6 tbsp. vanilla macadamia milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 c. powdered sugar (more or less)
preheat oven to 350°
- Grease and flour a cake pan of your choice.
- Combine all the dry cake ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk the pumpkin puree, oil, and eggs until smooth.
- Whisk all the ingredients together until smoothly combined and fill the cake pans leaving a bit of space on top. (This recipe can also make 24 cupcakes.)
- Bake at 350° in the center of the oven for 40 minutes, turn the cake for even baking. Set the timer for an additional 10-15 minutes then check if it is done by inserting a clean knife in the middle. It may need another few minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the frosting ingredients together, hand mixing at first to wet the powdered sugar. Turn the mixer on low then high for at least 4-5 minutes for a smooth frosting.
- **Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
Other festive cake recipes on my website: ButterCream Chiffon Cake D/F, Walnut Topped Chocolate Chiffon Cake, Blood Orange Chiffon Cake drizzled with orange liquor sauce, Lemon Filled Tea Cake with Coconut Frosting