POLISH BEET SOUP (BARSZCZ)
As the cooler weather sets in, one thing I remember most about family dinners was an abundance of soups to keep us hydrated and healthy.
This Beet Soup was taught to my mother when she married my father. Anna, my Babcia was in the catering business and cooked professionally for many years. She liked to prepare ‘cream of’ beet soup, and usually diced the beets in chunks. My mom on the other hand made a few modifications to her recipe so the little ones didn’t have to deal with large chunks of beets that could wind up on a lap or floor. I loved how she grated the cooked beets into the soup, resembling beet noodles. In order to make this easier and less time consuming, I substituted her base Beef Bone Broth with boxed organic vegetable broth. The other modification that Mom made was taking out the ‘sour’ element for the kid’s sake. Some liked it, and some didn’t, so this recipe leaves out the vinegar.
I served the soup plain or with my homemade dairy free sour cream. The recipe for the sour cream is at the bottom of the directions of my kołaczki recipe: Kołaczki
I am dedicating this recipe is to Mom, my cooking inspiration.
Quick and Easy Polish Beet Soup
A nutritious and delicious family traditional soup that will keep you warm and healthy throughout the cold winter.
An original family recipe by: Gourmetmarichef (Mariana, Anna, and Phyllis)
- 1 diced medium onion
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 2 32 oz. cartons of Organic Vegetable Broth
- 6 washed, peeled, and cooked potatoes (cut in 1 inch cubes)
- 4 medium thoroughly washed, cooked, peeled organic beets (roasted or boiled in water)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp. salt and 5-10 twists of cracked pepper (more seasonings to taste)
- optional 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Few sprigs of chopped fresh parsley
- 1 container of vegan plain yogurt or home-made dairy-free sour cream
- With gloves on your hands, shred the cooked beets into a large soup pot.
- Pour both cartons of vegetable broth into the pot of shredded beets, adding in the bay leaf, and salt and pepper, and simmer for 25 minutes over medium heat.
- While the soup is simmering, sauté the cubed potatoes and onions using a pan swirled with the oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- When the potatoes are slightly browned, remove them and place in serving bowls.
- Remove the bay leaf from the beet soup and serve piping hot over the potatoes. Garnish with chopped parsley and a tbsp. of plain yogurt, or homemade sour cream. This soup is great accompanied with Polish Rye Bread.