Crispy Potato Fritters There are many variations to the potato pancake recipe, and all of them are delicious. There are just as many ways to serve them, with sprinkled sugar, sour cream, or applesauce. This recipe grates the potatoes into shreds rather than finely grated pulp resulting is patties that are crispier and less like a pancake. The fritters and the sour cream are dairy-free!
Crispy Potato Fritters
A crispy potato patty that is sure to be a hit as an appetizer or side dish.
recipe by Gourmetmarichef
- 8 washed, peeled and shredded potatoes. For a smoother batter, you can grate the potatoes.
- 1/2 finely chopped onion
- 2 tbsp. flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. canola oil for frying
- chopped green onions, Dairy-free Sour Cream, sugar, or applesauce for serving
- Squeeze the excess water out of the shredded potatoes with a cheese cloth, or use a strainer. In a large bowl, combine the potato shreds, onion, and eggs, then stir in the flour.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan until it is hot, but not smoking.
- Right before cooking the fritters, add in the salt and pepper to the potato batter.
- Drop a rounded tablespoonful into the pan and use the back of the spoon to press down the mixture.
- Reduce the heat if the pan is getting too hot.
- Fry until there is browning on the edges, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Flip the fritter over to the other side and fry for 3-5 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with sugar, sour cream with chopped green onions, or applesauce.